Summer’s here, the pandemic is passing, and your team is coming back to the office. After months of working virtually, there may be a bit of an adjustment period as everyone adapts to structured breaks and lunch hours. With that in mind, you may want to consider the addition of a micro market to your office floor plan.
What Are Micro Markets?
A significant corporate trend, micro markets are miniature food retail spaces with self-checkout technology. These facilities provide a convenient, healthy, and straightforward fueling experience for the workplace. They are easy to use and are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They can be designed to fit virtually any space, need no staffing, and employees love the convenience. They are intended to be used with auto-payment apps that promote touch-free transactions through mobile devices.
Why are Micro Markets Better than Vending Machines?
Unlike traditional vending machines, micro markets offer open shelves and kiosks that provide ready-to-go meals, fruit, drinks, yogurt, and beverages along with traditional vending choices; and the market is always open for breakfast, lunch, and after-hours fuel breaks. The setup enables employers or facilities to stock much healthier, fresh foods than a typical vending machine, so your staff can select satisfying and nutritious items rather than the standard candy bar or soda dispensed from a machine. It also allows for a more customized selection and fare that appeals to a more diverse workforce—even sustainable products that eco-conscious employees appreciate.
The experience is also more sanitary. Corporate culture is moving toward the “touchless” workplace by reducing dependence on shared surfaces and giving employees control through their smart devices. An article on Gensler.com states that these trends will significantly reduce the spread of disease.
Employees will simply reach into the open shelving, pick up an item, scan, and pay with their app. Just think—you’ll no longer have to shake down the vending machine to get that Hershey bar you just bought!
What’s In It for the Business Owner?
Studies show that offering nutritious hospitality services:
- Improves company culture
- Raises morale, employee satisfaction
- Keeps your staff happy and healthy
- Lowers health care costs
- Cultivates opportunities for “lunch and learn” sessions
- Maintains workload momentum
- Increases productivity
- Keeps the team fueled and ready to work
- Reduces staff turnover, recruitment fees, and the work of replacing staff members
- Attracts optimal new recruits for your business
- Avoids the lost time of employees going out for snacks, coffee, and meals
- Provides an effective safety protocol
Happy Employees are Good for Your Business!
Micro Markets Offer Your Staff:
- An elevated break room experience
- Freedom from braving inclement weather or traffic to buy food
- Options for every dietary need
- A budget-friendly way to fuel during the day—more affordable than restaurants and delis
Corporate Essentials’ Marketplace & Café is your one-stop shop to carve out a cooler culture on the job. Employee health and satisfaction are always on the menu, and you can keep your team fueled and productive. Contact our team for all of your fueling needs!